Future Olympics could have less athletes and medals after International Olympic Committee (IOC) presidential candidate Ng Ser Miang said that a review of the cost and size of the Games will be a priority if he wins next month's vote.
The 64-year-old Singaporean also said he would look into scaling back the cost and procedures for cities bidding to host the Olympics and suggested potential new sports should use the Youth Games as a test ground before seeking inclusion.
''It is also about time for us to do a major review of the size, the cost, the scale and the complexity of the Games,'' Ng said.
''This will be one of the priority for sure. Even on the bid itself, the process. Whether we can make it more efficient, less costly with more
- UK Figure 71: Year-on-year % change in house prices, August 2011-August 2014 Figure 72: Trend in UK house prices, August 2004-14 Outlook Figure 73: Mortgage cost as a % of take-home pay, Q2/1988-Q2/2014 Mortgage market review Coastal premium Secondary residences abroad Figure 74: Volume forecast of number of second homes owned by households in England, 2008/09-2017/18 Overseas buyer interest Figure 75: Trend in searches* by UK residents for foreign property by country, September 2014 Interest by Spanish region Figure 76: Trend in searches* by UK residents for Spanish property by top 20 locations, September 2014 Revived interest in property abroad Caution still prevails Upscale segment well supported The mortgage market Dubious practices on the rise again Timeshare making a comeback Reduced from €550,000 to €159,000 Inheritance tax uncertainty US Trend in home sales by type Figure 77: Share of home sales by intended use, 2003-13 Figure 78: New & existing home sales, 2003-13 Trend in home prices Figure 79: Median sales price, 2004-13 Buyer motivation Figure 80: Reasons for purchasing home, 2013 Figure 81: Length of time buyer plans to own property, 2013 Figure 82: Likelihood of buying an investment property in next two years, 2013 Figure 83: Likelihood of buying a holiday home in next two years, 2013 Figure 84: Is now a good time to purchase real estate
- Late 2008: CIA review reveals CIA detained at least 119 persons, a number higher than what was told to Congress
- The number of states allowing same-sex marriage doubled, from 17 to 35, in addition to the District of Columbia, after the Supreme Court declined to review a number of pro-marriage rulings from lower courts
- The Australian Financial Review reports both London and Moscow based Russians are shopping for London real estate around the £20 million mark, and there had also been a significant rise in the number of Russians looking to buy investment properties
- TESS stores traction energy generated by decelerating trains as they enter a station and releases it as needed when trains accelerate from the station
''But at the same time, when we talk about reducing the size of the Games there are more sports knocking on the door wanting to be part of it, so I think there is going to be a fine balance and we have got to find the optimum solution.''
Ng is up against Germany's Thomas Bach, Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico, Wu Ching-kuo of Taiwan, Swiss Denis Oswald and Ukraine's former Olympic pole vault champion Sergey Bubka to replace outgoing Belgian Jacques Rogge in the September 10 vote in Argentina.
Ng said that all aspects of the Games would be looked at and did not rule out increasing in the number of sports from the current total of 26, but with less medals available in each.
''There could be a review on number of athletes, different disciplines, there could be a review of disciplines in the existing sports,'' the IOC vice president and former international sailor said.
''There could be a more optimum allocation of scheduling of competitions. I believe that there are some opportunities there for us to look at so we have to, definitely, consider some of these.''